Clarecastle National School traces its roots back to 1935 when the previously infant section of the old building was built and established as two schools – a boy’s and a girl’s national school. Each school had 3 teachers, one teaching junior infants – 1st class, another for 2nd – 4th and the final for 5th and 6th classes. From these humble beginnings an extension was built in 1962 to accommodate the increasing numbers of pupils as the schools were amalgamated.
The current ‘new’ school building was opened in 2007. The facilities include a P.E. hall, library, computer room, resource rooms in addition to 16 classrooms. Today 355 children attend the school. There are now 17 teachers from infants up to sixth class.