June 3rd 2015: Thanks to Eric Shaw for photographs. … The Old School opposite the Church in Clarecastle dates to 1843. Ger Dillon recently mentioned that there had been a plaque on the building but that it had been plastered over for the past 50 years or so. That led us to examine old photographs. In a 1945 photograph, the plaque could be see over the porch of the school. This morning, the Men’s Shed team removed the plaster from a section of the porch to reveal a fine cut-stone plaque with wonderful ornate script on it. It read Clare Village National Schools. A great find and it will now be suitably restored. Well done to all concerned.
- Our Parish